Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hummus in a hurry

"Hummus is to vegetarians and vegans what air is to the rest of humanity" Veganomicon

You really don't need a recipe for hummus, but I find myself writing this one down for people quite often. Certainly, you can buy some great hummus at pretty much every supermarket even in the most rural parts of New Zealand - but nothing beats home made.

I like my hummus quite thick for sandwiches. I particularly love a wholegrain roll with hummus, sliced avocado and tomato - it is my favourite lunch at the moment.

If you prefer a thinner hummus you can add water - start with 2 Tbsp and go up from there. I tend to be quite light on the tahini and heavy on the lemon juice - its all about personal preference. I use a 'whizz-stick' (immersion blender) as I can never be bothered dragging the food processor out, but the food processor or a full blender would make it much smoother.

Hummus

1 x tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp olive oil
juice of a large lemon
1 Tbsp tahini paste
1 clove garlic, minced
Large handful parsley or coriander
Salt, pepper and chilli flakes (to taste)

Place all ingredients in a large bowl, and puree using an immersion blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment