Friday, February 26, 2010

"I can't believe its vegan " Chocolate Cake

This recipe I found in a great wee cookbook called "the great new zealand vege road trip" ... it is full of recipes from cafes around New Zealand. This recipe harks from the Eutopia cafe in Kaiwaka which is an unlikely have for organic and vegan food, mainly because of the success of Kay Baxter's Koanga Gardens.

Anyway, I have made the recipe largely as per the instructions, although I find a smaller banana makes the recipe more chocolately. I also added in a splosh of very strong espresso because I love that kind of flavour.

I have made it as a whole cake, but actually prefer it as cupcake, in which case this recipe will make about 18 - 24.

I baked some as cupcakes for a bunch of committed carnivores, including a large policeman friend of mine, and he actually couldn't believe it when I told him (after he had eaten several) that it was vegan.

Cake
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
1/ 2 cup rice bran oil
2 Tbsp vinegar (I used apple cider but white would be fine too)
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups cold water
1 small-medium banana, mashed
2 Tbsp strong coffee, optional

Icing
1 Tsbp olivani or other dairy free spread
2 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 Tbsp vanilla essence or strong coffee
1 Tsbp approx boiling water

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius fan bake.
Grease a 23 cm cake tin and line with baking paper, or grease 2 x 12 hole muffin tins.

In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients. Make three wells in the mixture and in each place the vanilla, oil, and vinegar. Pour cold water over, add the banana and coffee if usig. Mix well and then pour into prepared tins.

Bake for 45-50 minutes (15 minutes for cupcakes) until a skewer comes out clean.

For the icing place all the ingredients in a pyrex dish and mix well. Add a few drops more water if needed. Ice cakes once cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment